Brick Pit

I tried the Brick Pit years ago when I first moved down to Mobile.  After ruining two vehicles, I was forced to rely on my own two feet to go anywhere if I wanted lunch out.  Lucky for me, I lived near U.S.A and there were plenty of restaurants nearby.  I would always be drawn to the Brick Pit because of the wonderful smell wafting from a pit near the sign. I can't say I remember that very first time I went to the Brick Pit, but I am glad I went back albet years later.

The Brick Pit has won national acclaim for it's barbeque and part of it's charm is the very humble exterior.  It looks like a converted home and blends in with the neighborhood. In back, there's a commercial size smoker with pecan and oak lined on the outside.

The Brick Pit is definitely a dive kind of place.  The walls and up to the ceilings are tagged by previous patrons.  The tables are your standard 2 to 4 tops with those chairs typically found in really old schools. Various articles and awards are also framed and displayed.  While some touts its ribs, others focus on the business and it's owner Bill Armbrecht.  The articles make for interesting reads if you get there while it's slow.

BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich
The server at the order window suggested my brother get the pulled pork sandwich.  This thing is a pretty big.  The slowly smoked pork is piled high on two pieces of texas toast.  The sweet and tangy sauce is served on the side.  I would have like it better if the pork was also slightly tossed in the sauce.  Regardless, it was very tender and flavorful.  The bread could have been a bit fresher as well.

Ribs with potato salad and baked beans
 I had the Ribs lunch plate which was reasonable at $9.95.  There were three large ribs, bread, and two sides.  The sides to choose from is potato salad, baked beans and cole slaw.  I had the baked potato and cole slaw which were good but doesn't seem homemade to me.  The beans kind of taste like the Pork and Beans you would get at Sam's.  But let's be honest, you don't come to the Brick Pit for the sides.  It's all about the ribs and they were delicious, not to mention huge. Three came with the lunch order and I was full after two ribs.  The ribs were very moist and tender.  There's a good dousing of that sweet and tangy sauce on top as well.  I really enjoyed it.

I think it would be a better deal to get the only meat when you go to the Brick Pit.  Everything else is pretty much a bust.  I've heard great things about the smoked BBQ chicken and that's what I plan to try next. 

Brick Pit on UrbanspoonFor more about the Brick Pit click here.


Comments

Popular Posts