Wedgie's Gourmet Grilled Cheese - CLOSED


Grilled cheese is comfort food to me, second only to pho. Now, there's a place to try this childhood staple in very adult ways. Classic, check. With fancy cheese, check. With fancy toppings, yup that too. Grilled chicken, brisket? Uh huh. Wedge's has it all.



Wedgie Dip
On my first visit, I got the Wedgie Dip along with Cole slaw and a pickle. It is braised brisket, caramelized onions, roasted red peppers, blue cheese, Monterey Jack on French bread. Boy, was this sandwich bursting with meat! I guess this is their version of the French dip. I was suggest you try it plain and then lightly dip it in the au jus. I thought the sandwich was slightly bland but if you dunk it, it's too salty.  A little goes a long way. I was also trying desperately to pick out the blue cheese flavor. You can't mistake the flavor and it just wasn't there for me. Overall though, I thought the sandwich was delicious.  


I am quite impressed by the cole slaw. I was warned that it has turmeric in it but I was not deterred. I am glad I did. It was tart, slightly sweet. I think the sweet comes from pineapple but I'm not sure. It was light and refreshing.  This is also one of the few places that do not have a mayonnaise based dressing. It balances out the richness of the sandwich very well. 





On the next visit, I went with my brother. We always start our meals with an appetizer. There are several options but we went with the spinach and artichoke dip. It is served with toasted french bread that has been cut into sticks. Although good, it was your average spinach dip. 

The Holy Grill
I went for Wedgie's version of the Reuben. They call it the "Holy Grill." It's corned beef, swiss, sauerkraut on rye bread with 1000 Island Dressing. I got potato salad this go around. If you like Reuben's sandwiches, you have to give this a go. It's just so good. There is a good deal more cheese than your traditional version but it balances out the corned beef well. The kraut gives it the tang that it's needs to break up the fattiness of the cheese and dressing, like any good Reuben. The potato salad was your average variety. Nothing special about it that I could taste. I was slightly disappointed considering the unique cole slaw. All sandwich combos do come with a dill pickle.


Magic Mushroom
For all of my vegetarian readers, Wedgie's have something for you too without sacrificing flavor. It's called the Magic Mushroom. It's grilled mushrooms, with spinach, sun dried tomatoes, swiss and gouda cheeses. I stole a bite and thought it was too cheesy. I know. I know. It is a grilled cheese place but I think there needs to be something to balance out the fattiness of the cheese. The fresh spinach helps but I found it wasn't quite enough.

Wedgie's is a counter service place. You order at the counter, get a number card, grab a seat and they'll bring it out to you. On my first vist, I went on a Friday right after the lunch rush and it was pretty slow. The workers were nice though. I had some questions and the cashier had no trouble pointing me to the right direction.

I really hope this place sticks around because getting to it is awful. It is located on Old Shell Road across from the Mitchell Center. If you're heading west, there is no place to turn in. You have to go up to make a U-turn. Same if you're coming out of the Mitchell Center parking lot. I can't deny that I have always thought twice about eating at the restaurant that was here because of that very reason.

To check out Wedgie's menu, click here to go to their website.

Wedgie's Gourmet Grilled Cheese Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato



Comments

Popular Posts