Wintzell's Oyster House in WeMo

Rockfeller, Beinville, grilled or raw - Wintzell's mean oysters in Southern Alabama.  My latest visit was to the one in West Mobile. 

There was some great specials for Happy Hour, which is from 3pm until 7pm.  There was $5 pitchers, dozen raw oysters and select appetizers. We ended up ordering about four dozen oysters.  I have to admit I was a little skeptical that the oysters would taste good, especially since it's April and they don't tend to be juicy. The oysters, for the most part, was very plump.


I ordered a bowl of Oyster Rockefeller soup as well.  I was pleasantly surprised.  It was definitely more of a chowder or "stoup" consistency rather than a runnier soup.  I kinda reminds me of a hot spinach dip with perfectly poached oysters inside. It was very rich and creamy. The two fried oysters that came on top was very plump and juicy.  It's rare that you can find fried oysters that retain their natural juices.  I'll be sure to come back for this soup alone.

My friend ordered the Mahi and Shrimp Cobb Salad.  I had a little taste of the proteins because honestly a salad is a salad otherwise.  I thought the Mahi was nice and flaky, but it lacked a little flavor.  Some salt and perhaps a squeeze of lemon would have made the fish taste much better.  The shrimp was on the small size.  I don't think it's Gulf shrimp either.  However, it was cooked really well.  There was a nice blend of cajun flavors that went into the shrimp.  For $10.99, it wasn't a bad take on a Cobb Salad.

I've had the fried menu items before and thought it wasn't worth the money.  It was pretty small portions and the seafood, sometimes, is not as fresh as it could be.  I prefer the Dauphin location more than this one.  I think the food is better prepared and the service is much better.  However, I have to admit service at the Airport location has improved a great deal since the last time I visited.

Wintzells Oyster House on Urbanspoon

Comments

Popular Posts