Southern Sweets Bakery

I think I stumbled onto a hidden gem in the Atlanta area on one of my trips. I'm talking about Southern Sweets Bakery in Decatur. It really peaked my interest when I read where the manager/co-owner said the bakery provides desserts to some pretty popular places in Atlanta. When I did some sleuthing, I saw where a lot of people describe it as a hole in the wall that had great food. I had to try it. I love hole in the walls!

Lox and Bagel ($10)

Bagel and Lox is probably one of my younger brother and I's favorite sandwiches. We decided to get it as our appetizer. I make it often at home and that's why I think I was under impressed by this one. There was plenty of salmon and the house made Boursin cheese mixture was very good. The bagel was soft and chewy. I liked it. I just liked mine better.

Salmon Salad ($9.45)
My brother and I decided to split two sandwiches. I was voting for a seafood and a meat but I was vetoed. He really wanted to try the salmon salad. It's salmon with dill, capers, lemon and celery served on rye bread. I was surprised by how thick the sandwich was. I guess I was thinking you could see more bread than salmon salad but no, this sandwich was nearly bursting with filling. I added just a touch of salt to it but otherwise, I was very happy with HIS sandwich. =)

My Favorite Tuna Melt ($9.20)
I was debating what to get. I knew I didn't want a cold sandwich but with all the choices I was kinda lost. Good thing I am the chatty sort and struck up a conversation with someone in line. I was told the Tuna Melt was one of the best thing on the menu. Oh my goodness, was that lady right?  This was one of the hands down best tuna melt I have every had. I was kind of taken back by the dill pickles inside the sandwich but it gave it the tang it needed to break up the fattiness of the mayo and tuna. My brother and I both got chips with our sandwich.  I don't remember if there were any other sides available.

But what about dessert, you ask. We were at a bakery after all and if you remember, the owner's bragging about the dessert is what got us here to begin with.


From pound cake to pies, cheese cake and layered cakes, bars and cookies, there was so much to choose from. There was even a whole display case of Vegan options. I rarely see that at the bakeries in our area. It took me longer to decide on what to eat for dessert than my sandwiches.

Mascarpone Rum Cake ($6)
I ended up getting the Mascarpone Rum cake to share with my brother and friends. A slice of cake was just under $6 and it was well worth it. This thing was heavy! I mean like weight. If it was served on a plain Styrofoam plate, that thing would have been broken. We got a couple of forks and dug in. The looks of ecstasy traveled around the table as the cake hit our taste buds. Yes, it was that good. I don't know if I was full or what but I can't imagine one person finishing off a piece of this cake by themselves. One of my friends was so impressed she bought three slices of other cakes to bring home to her family.

Oh, if you like pecan pie you must try their pecan bars if they're available. They're not big but they're pack a big punch of flavor. I had to buy a few to take home to my other brother, who is a pecan nut! Note: They survived 6 hours in the car just fine.


I love the decor. The wall was covered in art. There was one large table then several outdoor patio like tables. I thought the staff was friendly, if a touch slow to respond to customers waiting at the counter. To check out Southern Sweets Bakery yourself, click here.  

Southern Sweets Bakery Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts